Infections are being caused by multiple pathogens like bacteria, viruses, pathogens, fungi. These infections result in different health problems and require different treatment.
In this blog post, get to know about Gastrointestinal and Respiratory Infections.
What is a gastrointestinal infection?
There are many different types of bacteria, viruses, and parasites that cause gastrointestinal infections. According to the study of the U.S Centers for Disease Control and Prevention Trusted Source, stomach infection includes diarrhea causes the death of 1 in 9 children worldwide. It affects more than 2,95 children every day.
Most Common causes of gastrointestinal infections:
- E.COLI- E. Coli Bacteria is normally found in intestines of humans and animals. Most of the varieties of these bacteria are harmless, but some are not. For instance- E. coli O157:H7 secretes a toxin that causes abdominal cramps, bloody diarrhea, vomiting. It causes by contaminated water or food that is unhygienic and came in contact with animal manure. It also spreads through direct person to person contact.
- Salmonella – Salmonella is mostly caused by eating raw or undercooked poultry like meat or eggs. Salmonella infections are mostly classified as gastroenteritis.
- Norovirus- Norovirus is the most common cause of foodborne illness worldwide. It is especially spread among those people who live in confined spaces. This virus also spread through contaminated water, food, or person to person transmission.
- Rotavirus- Rotavirus is claimed as the leading cause of causing viral gastroenteritis in children worldwide. Children got infected when they touch a contaminated object and then put their fingers in their mouths. The vaccine of rotavirus is also available.
- Giardiasis- Giardia is a kind of parasite that easily spreads through human contact and unhygienic contaminated water. It is completely resistant to chlorine and can easily spread in public swimming pools. Infection can also occur from bathing in contaminated lakes and rivers.
- Cryptosporidiosis – It is considered a leading cause of water borne diseases in the U.S. It is having a shell outside which makes it chlorine resistant.
Symptoms of Gastrointestinal Infections
Symptoms can continue for as long as 14 days, GI infections are commonly characterized by abdominal cramps and diarrhea. Other symptoms may include-
– Loss of Appetite
– Mucus or blood in the stool
– Weight Loss
Treatment For Gastrointestinal Infections
In most cases, self-care and measures are the recommended treatment.
Antibiotics may not prevent Gastrointestinal infections from viruses or parasites.
If you feel like you need to visit a doctor then you must go for it. Many new technologies in medicine will help you in getting efficient treatment in a very quick manner. Some infections are having a need for quick results.
In some infections, antibiotics are not required so your doctor will help you in determining that you need antibiotics or not. The most important is the self-care treatment for adults and children- so stay hydrated.
What are Respiratory Infections?
Respiratory infection is a type of infection that may interfere with your normal breathing. It may affect your upper respiratory system, starting from your sinus and ending at vocal chords and it may affect your lower respiratory system, starting from vocal chords and ending at the lungs.
Causes of Respiratory infections
There are many different causes of respiratory infection.
– Causes of upper respiratory infection are pharyngitis, ear infection, the common cold.
– For lower respiratory infection most common causes are bronchitis, pneumonia, bronchiolitis.
Symptoms of Respiratory Infections
The symptoms may vary but there are some common symptoms-
– Body Aches
– High Fever
– Difficulty in Breathing.
Treatment of Respiratory Infection
As many viruses are having no known treatment. Your doctor firstly diagnoses your infection, as there are unique medical technologies for diagnosing infections. Automated Molecular Testing Machines such as BD MAX ™ System helps in the early detection of infection. The doctor will perform the different test and will monitor you completely for finding the exact reason behind your infection. If doctor finds out some kind of bacterial infection, they may prescribe you with antibiotics.
For preventing Respiratory infections, vaccines of specific infections are required as measles, mumps, pertussis.
Additionally, strengthen your immune system by having enough nutrients in your diet. Vitamin- C is recommended for making the immune system stronger.